Monday, April 19, 2010

Usul, we have Nerdsign the likes of which God has not seen...

If you understand the reference in that title, congratulations! You are officially one of us. It's kind of a "You must be this nerdy to read this site" idea. Welcome to the first post of my blog. My name is Avery Vincent, and odds are you're one of my friends that I've coerced into reading the inane, insanely nerdy flotsam that bubbles to the surface of the pop-culture cauldron that is my mind. (Trivia answer: It's a reference to the movie version of Frank Herbert's Dune.)

I plan to update this blog every few days with the latest minutiae that I can't fit into a tweet and is too verbose for a Facebook status update. If you want to follow me on either of those as well, awesome; by all means, do so. Look up "Avery Vincent" on Facebook and/or follow me at twitter.com/averyvincent for smaller updates.

This will hopefully be a repository of the monologues and diatribes that I have cobbled together over my life, as well as the occasional movie/book/album review. I'm a very opinionated person, and I figure this is a good way to get my opinions out there, as opposed to constantly annoying my friends by telling them the same stories ad nauseum, which I have done for far too long as it is.

I am a Geek, and proudly so. I personally differentiate between the terms "Nerd," "Spaz," "Dork" and "Geek." It is possible, and quite common, to be more than one of these at the same time, but there are distinct differences between the groups.

Nerd: Someone of inordinately high intelligence with a particular skill and passion for computers, math and/or science. A Nerd is the kind of person you want as a lab partner or a tutor.

Spaz: Someone with a distinct lack of physical coordination. A Spaz will knock over three things trying to catch the one thing they knocked over first.

Dork: Someone who is completely without any sense of style. If your taste in clothes or music is a constant source of amusement to onlookers, you are a Dork.

Geek: Someone who has what I refer to as "a propensity for casual obsession." A Geek doesn't just kinda like something; he gets insanely into it. If you can recite all the lines from your favorite movie (or any movie, for that matter,) you are a Geek. If you like one song by a band, and then go out and buy 4 albums by that band, learn their entire history and see them in concert 4 times in the next 3 years, you are a Geek.

That, dear readers, is my definition of the subtle (yet distinct) differences between Nerd, Spaz, Dork and Geek. And for now, this would seem to be a good place to stop. Expect more to come soon. Until then, as the late, great George Carlin said: "Farewell, until we meet again. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

No comments:

Post a Comment